Friday, July 27, 2018

I want Nora Ephron to be my fairy godmother



This memoir by one of America’s favorite screenwriter’s tells the story of how her collective life experiences are both fantastic and… forgettable.
In her signature dry wit, Ephron tries to recall significant experiences such as meeting former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, but the author can only give details about why she was late to the event and nothing about Mrs. Roosevelt. Ephron explains that this is a tragic symptom of getting old, that she has gone from “getting older” to actually “being old.” She always assumed that she would be comforted in her old age by all of her terrific memories but in a cruel- and yet amusing- twist of fate, much of Ephron’s life is fading from her mind.

While I had known about Nora Ephron in theory- that is, as a name in the credits of my favorite films- I had no idea that her life encompassed so much more than nominal screentime. She pioneered women working in journalism; mingled with the Rich and Powerful from the time she was a child; married, divorced, dated, and fought against the men in her life; and wrote. Oh, how she wrote! Articles, books, plays, screenplays, blogs, emails (you learn all about Ephron’s turbulent relationship with email!)... and while not everything she wrote was brilliant- or even liked- Ephron wrote. Because without writing, Ephron’s life would be empty. Her audience is so lucky to be able to get this glimpse into her life and way of thinking, even luckier to finish the book with the impression that they have made a friend.

This memoir is not simply for women in similar circumstances to Nora Ephron-- I would encourage anyone to wants to be entertained and learn about a singularly fascinating person to read this book. Or better yet, listen to the author narrate the audiobook as I did. You may feel nostalgic, you may feel wiser after listening to her advice, but you will certainly laugh.

My idea of a perfect day is a frozen custard at Shake Shack and a walk in the park. (Followed by a Lactaid.) My idea of a perfect night is a good play and dinner at Orso. (But no garlic, or I won't be able to sleep.) The other day I found a bakery that bakes my favorite childhood cake, and it was everything I remembered: it made my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment